Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Week 2 Web searching

I'd like to share what I have learned during this week. Before reading the information about the web browsers I could not imagine the amount of search engines that exist on the network. I thought that Google was the only search resource available but now I understand all the search engines we have and how they can provide us with all the information ne need  . While I was reading Noodlletools at http://www.noodletools.com/debbie/literacies/information/5locate/adviceengine.html and  exploring all the search engines I could notice that It is possible to choose a searcher according to our necessities . When we need to find some information related with, teaching and learning tools or any other topic related with education for example we can easily access to an academic searcher and go surfing on it.  I was trying with “sweetseacrh” which I recommend you. This searcher allowed me through “agendaweb” practice hundred of free English exercises online , check the link http://www.agendaweb.org/listening/english_audio_activities.html  

Some of the different searches we have available in the web give also  people the options to find information in specific disciplines. As swetsearch is a useful tool to find required information. It also offers   a variety of resources  in multimedia tutorial , teaches effective web skills for educators and students, biographies and other subjects needed by students . Kidshealth   is another example of searcher, this one   gives health information directed to kids, teens or parents. I also find interesting to navigate in” Kidsclik” if we are looking for sites with educational content or any other topics for children. I think we can navigate in using all the different kinds of searches , the only thing we have to take in count is that  we have to start by identifying the searchers that provide us with the most useful and significant  information we are looking for.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Vilmita,
    I agree with everything you said in your reflection for the second week. I have to say that I did not try this search engine you have recommended. But I will do it soon. I strongly I agree with you about identifying the searchers which suit our needs. In my opinion, all available search engines are useful, but we have to recognize the most helpful ones.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rade
    It is nice to meet you. I had the opportunity to read your reflection on Nicenet and I consider very useful the links you provide about web searching. Now I have more ideas about how to find the best information according to our needs. I’d like also share that we have finished this week and It was a hard work trying to understand how to write objectives. I read a lot and I also had to use all the new searchers I know to help me understand the ABCD method. Finally I think I got it. it was also great describe our classes and How is the learning environment in our classes Most of them have similar aspects but the most important thing is that we are going to start setting a technology change in our schools.
    Best Regards,
    Vilma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Vilmitor,
    I also had the same idea on the search engine I never thought the existence of other search engine. Great being in this class as we are exposed to more stuff, hope there are more to come.

    ReplyDelete